John and Eriko Houlette, Three Streams Ministry
- The Pastoral Leader Retreat in South Asia on 11/14-22 is coming together! We have 20 local pastors coming. Pray that we would serve these pastors with integrity and in culturally appropriate ways.
- We added another seminary class in Fukushima last week. I started teaching this section at Hokushin Calvary Church with 12 students! It is a once a month practical class on self-care, spiritual formation and leadership.
- We have adapted our Iwate Prefecture retreat to include pastors and lay persons. It will be on 10/21-22.
- I leave today for ten days in the US to renew my CAL driver’s license and see my son, two-year-old grandsons and 93-year-old father. Please pray for my eye test on 9/14 and driving test 9/19.
- The 6th Japan Congress on Evangelism is 9/27-30 in Kobe. Our chaplaincy ministry will have a training section. I look forward to networking with many people.
Mercy and Grace Abound
But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” Lam. 3:21-24
Sunday I preached on the above passage at Hokushin Calvary Church on “Graduate Celebration Sunday.” No, it is not for those who finished their schooling, but to remember and celebrate the lives of those who have graduated to glory. The church was packed with over 90 people, with many families remembering their loved ones. God has been gracious to the church. We have three baptismal candidates and believers are reaching out to new people. Thank you for praying.
We have seen God’s mercy and grace in Three Stream Ministries. I currently mentor 10 people, have 18 people in seminary classes, three counseling clients and a number of seminars and retreats.
The disaster response chaplaincy is moving forward. With the help of the Salvation Army, we have funding for the next three years to equip and unleash 50 chaplains who can train others.
Financially, we have seen God’s abundant grace and mercy. This month is the end of the Asian Access/SIM fiscal year and our support will finish in the black. We returned to Japan in the summer of 2014 and re-launched Three Stream Ministries (TSM) from scratch with no start-up funds. We have seen God grow TSM to be nearly self-funded.
The US dollar has weakened by over 20% this past year and costs for Japanese health insurance and national taxes have increased. Due to these factors, will need to discover an additional $650 a month in support. We will carry over a cushion of over-support from this year and Eriko and I will reduce our salary to keep the above figure under $1000 a month. We ask that you might pray and give towards our support in the new fiscal year. Perhaps some of you are able to start supporting us with either a one-time gift or a more regular contribution. Others may be able to increase their giving. Giving information can be found at the bottom of this page. The gospel is bearing fruit in Japan. Your prayers and gifts are being used to equip pastors and lay persons to be whole, holy and missional.
MINISTRY OF PRAYER
- For retreats at C-On Kinshuko 10/21-22 and in South Asia 11/14-22.
- For the families of the suicide victims.
- For Hokushin Calvary Church in Fukushima and pastor Masanori and his wife Shoko. He is on a sabbatical. I am preaching there twice a month.
- For Eriko’s research in the earthquake zone.
- For ongoing teaching, mentoring, coaching and counseling opportunities.
- For our support needs. The dollar has weakened 20% over the last few months, raising our support need to $650 a month.
Serving the Lord together with you.