John and Eriko Houlette, Three Stream Ministry
Ministry at a Glance
- Refresh Retreat, Iwate, 10/21-22
- Chaplain’s Cafe, Tokyo, 11/10
- Kyushu Christian Disaster Relief Center Staff Retreat, Fukuoka, 11/13-15
- Relief Ministry and Pastoral Retreat, South Asia, 1/24-2/2/2017
- Sendai Baptist Seminary (SBS) classes, Sendai and Fukushima, 11/6-7
- Ms. K’s Baptism at Hokushin Calvary Church, on 11/6!
- California driver’s license renewed for another five years!
- Japan Congress on Evangelism a blessing with many attending our Disaster Response Project.
On our way home from our Asian Access Fall Gathering in Bandai, Fukushima earlier this month, Eriko and I stopped at a roadside fruit stand. The owner engaged us in conversation about the qualities of his fine produce while offering us samples. We bought two bags of apples after which he gave us an omake, a bonus one for free. He was proud to tell us that the apples were from orchards in Ryozen, which is a town of 10,000 people and no church and where Hokushin Calvary Church hopes to launch a house church. This is a powerful metaphor for our work in Japan. We want to plant reproducing orchards (leaders and churches) and not just give out apples.
God is bringing a harvest through the gospel in Japan. (Colossians 1:3-8). Miyagi county where Eriko is doing her research, has seen 40 churches planted since 2011. We are also excited that Ms. K. will be baptized at Hokushin Calvary Church in Fukushima city, where I serve, on 11/6.
A strategic focus for Three Stream Ministries is fruitful outcomes. TSM nurtures young leaders to build life rhythm trellises and implement the pruning required for healthy, long term, fruitful ministry sustained by God. By God’s grace this year, TSM has invested in 28 leaders from 13 churches, eight of those are either church plants or church renewal endeavors. It is rewarding to see and hear how God is impacting these lives. The top picture above features 12 students in my SBS extension class at Hokushin Calvary Church.
Thank you for praying for our financial needs. Some of you have already responded by giving one time gifts and committing to regular support. Thank you so very much! Be encouraged that your prayers and gifts are being used to equip pastors and lay persons to be whole, holy and missional.
MINISTRY OF PRAYER
- For self care and spiritual formation retreats, classes and seminars.
- For the families of the suicide victims.
- For Hokushin Calvary Church in Fukushima and their pastor Masanori Kuba who is on a sabbatical. I am preaching there twice a month.
- For Eriko’s research in the earthquake zone.
- For ongoing teaching, mentoring, coaching and counseling opportunities.
- For wisdom on how to provide emotional care for care givers in Kumamoto.