John and Eriko Houlette, Three Streams Ministry
- Ms. Kikuta was baptized on 11/6 at Hokushin Calvary Church, Fukushima city pictured below. (You can see her in the second picture on the left wearing glasses).
- John facilitated a retreat for the staff of the Kyushu Christian Disaster Relief Center (Kyukisai) 11/13-15 in Fukuoka, Kyushu.
- Sendai Baptist Seminary classes continue on two campuses.
- Eriko and I will facilitate a Relax Retreat 12/30-1/2 at C-On Kinshuko in Iwate Prefecture.
- I spoke at the Chaplain’s Cafe on boundaries in ministry on 11/10.
- Plans are firming up for the Pastoral Leader Retreat in S. Asia 1/24-2/2. Twenty local pastors will attend. Three from Japan are signed up. Please pray for three additional Japanese pastors who are considering attending. We would like six from Japan. Pray also for my preparation.
- The Asian Access (A2) National Conference was a blessing with six graduates from the two-year leadership training program. Next year is the 50th anniversary for Asian Access.
- Our daughter Christine recently got engaged to Soichi Tada!
Bending and Bowing
So you, by the help of your God, return, hold fast to love and justice, and wait continually for your God. Hosea 12:6 ESV
Christmas greetings to our precious support team!
The Christmas advent season is a multi-fold invitation for us to return to God through his Son Jesus, cling to and practice love and justice and wait with hope. He will help us. It often requires bending our ways to align with his and bowing before him in submission.
This has been a year of practicing our bends and bows–both are waiting postures. I have preached, conducted three funerals, the Lord’s Supper, a baptismal and participated in my daughter’s engagement ceremony. We have experienced his love and justice while investing in the lives of men and women weary from disaster ministry, broken relationships and tragic losses who have gained a fresh view of God’s love for them.
Mrs. Kikuta’s baptism at Hokushin Calvary was a beautiful picture of clinging to love. (the top picture was taken after her baptism). She is in her 70s and has been attending the church for many years. This past year she sensed God nudging her to take the step of faith to publicly confess Jesus as Savior and Lord. Mrs. Takase witnessed to her and Mr. Tanaka, an elder at the church, helped to prepare her for baptism. For a church without their pastor, this was a tremendous blessing and celebration.
God has shown us his love through you as well. We have received special year end gifts and increased support. Thank you for your faithfulness!
MINISTRY OF PRAYER
1. Praise God for his faithfulness to us this year.
2. For Hokushin Calvary Church in Fukushima and their pastor Masanori Kuba who is on sabbatical. I am preaching there twice a month.
3. For Eriko’s research in the earthquake zone.
4. For ongoing teaching, mentoring, coaching and counseling opportunities.
5. For wisdom on how to provide emotional care for care givers in Kumamoto.
6. For preparation for upcoming retreats.