This holiday season, we are focusing our efforts on supporting the local Mountain View/Sunnyvale (MV/SV) Salvation Army Corp as a church-wide service opportunity. The MV/SV Salvation Army Corp will be directing all their efforts towards meeting local needs for the families that have been affected by the fires in the Bay Area.
The Children’s Choir will also be supporting the Salvation Army as they will be providing toys for children in need on December 2nd.
How can you / your Life Group participate?
There are multiple ways in which you as an individual or Life Group can participate in this church-wide service opportunity. You can decide to do the following as a group or as individuals.
- Giving Tree – This program enables you to provide a Christmas present for someone in need. Simply go by the Christmas Tree in the Worship Center lobby (beginning on December 3) and take one or more tags hanging from the tree. Each tag will include the suggested gift card, toy, or other item for a teenager or adult (senior). Shopping for these items is a great way for parents and families to teach children about giving back, and to instill a sense of gratitude for all they have in their lives. These gifts will probably be the only ones that these individuals will receive so please help us bring Christmas joy into their lives. Gifts do not need to be wrapped – unwrapped gifts along with their tags can be dropped off anytime to the church office before December 17. On Sunday, December 17, gifts can be dropped off in the Worship Center lobby after first and second service.
- Adopt-a-Family – Adopt-a-Family is a Salvation Army holiday program designed to assist families who are in crisis as a result of unemployment, homelessness, medical issues or other difficult circumstances, and who otherwise wouldn’t have the resources to celebrate the holidays. Families who are “adopted” are provided with gifts from their sponsors which can include clothing, toys, gift cards, household items and food. Thank you to the LifeGroups and families who have adopted families thus far. Most of our families have already been adopted during the month of November, however, if you would like to participate in some way, please email Vivian Yasutake.
- Kettle Bell Ringing – The bell-ringing season starts each November and runs through Christmas Eve, when the red kettles are packed away for the season. Volunteers are the difference between an empty kettle and one that raises about $30 per hour – enough to provide a family with two bags of groceries, or shelter an individual for a night. There is an IMMEDIATE and GREAT need for bell ringers so if you or your LifeGroup wish to volunteer, please contact Paul Tokar ASAP.
- Serve Onsite @ the Corp – There are numerous service opportunities onsite at the Corp to prepare food for distribution to those in need (e.g., Veggie or Food Day). The Corp has enough volunteers for the month of December but after the New Year, they will need help with Veggie or Food Day distributions. For more information and how to serve onsite at the Corp, please contact Kay Tokar.
- December 3 Benevolence Offering – The entire Benevolence Offering on December 3 will be donated to the Salvation Army.
Please discuss with your Life Group the options above and prayerfully share this information as you decide on how to support the Salvation Army this Christmas.
Thank you in advance for helping BCC intentionally show God’s love to those in need this Christmas.